Main Softwares you need as you are a wind-power engineer
- ANSYS CFX
- Matlab-based Power System Toolboxes
There are many simulation programs used in the field of wind turbines, such as simulation programs for turbine blades design, Stress measurement software, force measurement software, and other software for aerodynamic simulations ….etc.
So The engineer needs more than one program to get the best possible design for such a wind Turbine and in this article, I have mentioned some program names which I know
Qblade is an excellent software for horizontal axis wind turbines (HAWT design), but also for vertical wind turbines (VAWT design).
The software is especially adequate for teaching, as it provides a ’hands-on’ design and simulation capabilities for HAWT and VAWT rotor design and shows all the fundamental relationship
and you can work with this simulator on Linux, Windows, and Mac
ANSYS CFX is a high-performance fluid dynamics calculator (CFD) that provides reliable and accurate solutions quickly and vigorously across a wide range of CFDs
WindSim has been exploring the use of CFD technology to automate the positioning of wind turbines so that you can build more efficient wind farms.
EUROSTAG is a program developed by Tractebel Engineering GDF SUEZ and RTE for precise and accurate simulation of the dynamics of power systems. used worldwide by transmission system operators and generation firms, but also by consulting companies, for studies, analysis, design, and operational optimization.
EUROSTAG is now delivered with an Application Programming Interface (API) allowing the integration of the power of EUROSTAG dynamic simulation engine into an external process. With this API, the simulation can be controlled from an external program or script.
Simscape Electrical provides component libraries for modeling and simulating electronic, mechatronic, and electrical power systems. It includes models of semiconductors, motors, and components for applications such as electromechanical actuation, smart grids, and renewable energy systems. You can use these components to evaluate analog circuit architectures, develop mechatronic systems with electric drives, and analyze the generation, conversion, transmission, and consumption of electrical power at the grid level.
PSAT: Power System Analysis Toolbox.
PSAT can perform several power system analysis :
- Continuation Power Flow (CPF).
- Optimal Power Flow (OPF).
- Small Signal Stability Analysis (SSSA).
- Time Domain simulations
Some usages of PSAT
The study is ideal for teaching and for explaining basic power system analysis and control concepts.
Other Matlab-based Power System Toolboxes
- PSAT: Power System Analysis Toolbox
- PST: Power system Toolbox
- Mat Power.
- VST: Voltage System Toolbox.
- PAT: Power Analysis Toolbox.
- EST: Educational Simulation Toolbox
Commercial Softwares vers Open Source Softwares
- Are Closed and (Don t allow the user to change in the code source in order to add new algorithms )
- Typically Well-tested and computationally efficient.
- despite their completeness theses software can result in cumbersome for educational and research purpose
Open Source Softwares
- for research purposes, the flexibility and the ability of easy prototyping are often more crucial aspects than computational efficiency
- There many open-source research tools
Control and data acquisition systems