Here is what we’ll cover in this article :
What is SAM?
The System Advisor Model (SAM) is an open source (free) software model that facilitates decision-making for people in the renewable energy industry:
- Project managers and engineers
- Policy analysts
- Technology developers
SAM can model diffrentes types of renewable energy systems:
- Photovoltaic systems( from small residential rooftop to large utility-scale systems).
- Battery storage with Lithium ion, lead acid, or flow batteries for front-of-meter or behind-the-meter applications
- Concentrating Solar Power systems for electric power generation, including parabolic trough, power tower, and linear Fresnel
- Industrial process heat from parabolic trough and linear Fresnel systems
- Wind power, from individual turbines to large wind farms
- Marine energy wave and tidal systems
- Solar water heating
- Fuel cells
- Geothermal power generation
- Biomass combustion for power generation
- High concentration photovoltaic systems.
How to make your location on SAM
IF you are not in the USA and you want to work on SAM you have to download a weather file of your city, in order to do that follow this guide:
Visit the link –> PHOTOVOLTAIC GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SYSTEM
- With the cursor choose your location.
- the best format to use with SAM is the typical-year (TMY) in the EPW format.
- make the file in a folder .
Go to the program on the top left; location and Resource click on the button Add/remove weather file folders.
Now youhave to select your location and click o like in the below screen :
You can see the format of the file you download is the typical-year (TMY)
- Click on the button Add/remove weather file folders
- Click the button refresh library.
Modeling wind turbines on Sam
You May Like also : Qblade HAWT Tutorial
Hi My name is Abd Allah i am web content creator and renewable energy phd engineer.
I started blogging since 2 years what make me create this blog is the importance of sharing information with readers who love this field, I think i m not the first one who is familiar with this field but every person has his touch.i love nature and i think renewable energy will take over the responsibility of preserving this beautiful world.